Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Snack Time

I love feeding the chickens kitchen scraps. We have a composter that we use a lot, but it's become quite full since we got the chickens. The material isn't quite processed enough to put in the garden yet, so our city also has "Rot Pots" that you can dispose of food wastes in (including meat/bones/etc that you can't put in a regular composter). But why compost when our chickens love certain treats?

Some treats I've fed the chickens. 

I usually throw it out in the run for them to scratch and pick at. I usually look up the scraps before I toss them out to make sure it's safe for them to eat. As I've mentioned BackyardChickens.com is a great resource. 

Of course, the chickens like getting out on the grass but I don't have time to do this everyday.


I went to the local produce market this morning for groceries, and I asked if they had any "bad" unsellable veggies I could have. They were really helpful and gave me a bag of lettuce that was starting to wilt. Apparently they have a few regulars who pick stuff up, but I think I'll keep trying every few days to see what I can get, you can't beat free! I also bought a few cobs of corn to see what the chickens would do. 
I hung the corn in the run with some rope I had laying around. Mr. Construction also brought a little wire ball that I stuck the lettuce in so the hens could have fun pecking at it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment