Monday, May 14, 2012

Rum and Coke

The girls are getting bigger and more bold. They still make quite the fuss when I wake them up and put them to bed. Slowly but surely I guess. They have adjusted to the dogs; Angus still thinks they are a play toy but hopefully the novelty of live toys will wear off.

I am feeding them growing mash, dandelions, and table scraps. I sure surprised the neighbour yesterday when I asked for all the dandelions she had just picked. She wasn't to sure about it but after I explained they were for the hens she agreed. I think they enjoyed all of them as they ate most of the greenery and spent the afternoon picking over them. It has been fun watching try different things I throw out at them. I think I will try hanging raw corn cobs in the run next.

I have a portable dog pen which I have been using for the girls to let them out on the lawn. They really enjoy scratching in the grass and fighting over stuff they have found. Once they get bigger I will most likely let them roam the backyard freely but for now they get the pen, it makes it a lot easier to catch them and put them back. They haven't quite adjusted to being picked up yet.

We are due for some excitement in the upcoming weeks. Our 4 ready to lay hens should be getting here soon, so until all the ladies get settled I am sure there will be an adjustment period. We are looking forward to fresh eggs and more hens to care for.


Our two girls. Names haven't been decided - Rum and Coke or Beavis and Butthead?


 Angus watching like a hawk. Trying to figure out what makes them move.


No comments:

Post a Comment